Monday, February 25, 2008

Play Response

1. After writing my play, I came across many difficulties but some things turned out great. Probably the hardest thing about writing the play was keeping in mind the limitations of the “set” and staying true to a play drama and not being like some new movie director. But the nice thing was that even with those limitations; the play came out more creative than it may have otherwise. I doubt I’ll ever want to do this when I grow up but it wasn’t a bad assignment at all.

2. Growing up today’s world seems very hard for any person especially a 10 year old. The biggest thing for a 10 year old to focus and be aware of is the internet and the media. Every day people are exposed to high amounts of media and now with technology becoming much more integrated into every day life even at 10 years old a child becomes fairly well acquainted with the internet. You have to watch out because there are a lot of bad things on it but use it to your advantage and grow intellectually and culturally with the access to a limitless source of knowledge.

3. There’s so much literature out in the world and so many people love some works while others don’t care for it or despise it that I find it difficult to pin point why some are as “great” or beloved as they are. I don’t think it’s because the work is so good that everyone loves it but that the author was/is talented enough to make people remember what they write and love it. There are thousands of Greek texts but we only read certain ones during school. It’s kind of a band wagon effect I believe. 1 person really likes it, has someone else read it but already influencing them and so on until as many people like or love or whatever the piece of writing that is being revered. I could never imagine writing something like The Odyssey not because I don’t want to or am a horrible writer, it’s that I don’t have the passion or skill for writing that is required to create a piece of writing such as that.

2 comments:

Alex R said...

the bandwagon effect makes sense, I read freakonomics around some guys on the ski team and by the next race they were all reading it.

Matt said...

Sean, I agree with the ten year old choosing for themselves what is right and wrong in the media. I also think it plays a huge part in our society's developement and should be looked at more closely.