Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Themes of life in our plays?

1. A theme is what a piece of writing is about. It could be as simple as boredom or as complex as puberty. Our stories reflect these themes and what we write about or how we write it is the best way in which these themes can be expressed while staying true to the story. Most great pieces of literature have themes and I think it’s important for all pieces to have one, however minimal. Look at any great piece of writing, works such or Shakespeare and Mark Twain teaching their readers lessons and morals through stories or events that stay true to the story but descriptively and cleverly express those themes. The Adventures of Huck Finn, for example, shows the evil side of racism and society and how it can be overcome by the friendship of a young boy with a man both looking for freedom. Some may disagree and feel that themes limit how you can write or what you write but in reality, the challenge makes the writer’s work stronger and much better than it would have been otherwise

2. A theme I might consider communicating in my play, is an old one, yet strong and powerful in meaning. Vengeance, it’s a nasty human feeling we as humans get that can lead to arguments, broken relationships, anger, and even violence such as wars. Vengeance in my story is going to be my secret weapon that I can use as structure for plotting out the events in my play and how I will describe them so they show vengeance as a motive for whatever being done. Of course, other themes will be present but this theme will root out to all these other themes and all be connected giving a fuller, richer, story to be told

3. A topic I’m considering about writing for my play is going to be like a war of some sorts and the events in the life of one of the war generals. I’m not sure if I will base this off a real war and if I did, I’m debating whether or not to use the names of real people during those times or generate fictional characters. I’ll probably make fictional characters to be able to freely depict them as I want them to appear and connect their struggles with the ongoing war and their hunger for revenge

1 comment:

Mr. Miles said...

I think that sounds like an interesting idea for a play. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the topic in relation to war, which has historically been based in vengence (or retaliation).